The Teachers’ Refresher Course Committee (TRCC) was established by Dr Clarence Beeby, Director General of Education, in 1946. It was funded by a Government grant that was intended to give teachers a sense of responsibility for their own professional development. The courses were to be held in a teacher’s own time with funding to assist with travel costs.
The TRCC was established on the premise that the responsibility for educational standards is not the prerogative of the state alone, but one that needs to be shared between teachers and state.
As part of the restructuring of education the TRCC became an incorporated society in 1989, and in 1992 became a stand-alone organisation on contract to the Ministry of Education to provide refresher courses for teachers.